PILGRIMS ARRIVE AT MARTYRS SHRINE IN UGANDA

CISA NEWS REPORT
First-Pilgrim-Arrives-At-Namugongo
NAMUGONGO, May 17, 2013 (CISA) -Patience Amutuhaire, 21, from Kabale Diocese is the first Ugandan pilgrim to arrive at Namugongo for this year’s pilgrimage, as faithful worldwide start the “great trek”.
Foreigners are also expected from Nigeria. Italians also flew in last week for the June 3 prayer fest.
Amutuhaire said she started her journey three weeks ago from Buhara Rushoroza in Kabale diocese. She arrived with her one year son on Tuesday, May 14.
Catholics and Anglicans celebrate martyrs day taking place on June 3, at Uganda Martyrs shrine, Namugongo. Believers gather to remember the martyrs who were burnt by Buganda’s King Mwanga.
Most people move from their countries and homes and travel on foot to the destination as a sign of devotion and remembrance of their friends who died for them.
“I was resting during the day and moved at night because day time, I got tired for three days when I started and decided to move at night. I was taking water wherever I came across a water source because I used shortcuts where necessary,” she adds.
“This is my third time here. I love this because it’s in our family, my grandfather died when he had reached Mbarara coming for the martyrs’ celebrations in 2004. That is why I believe I can make it every year,” she devoutly said.
Father Joseph Mukasa Muwonge, the organizer of this year’s celebrations said they are ready those who will come earlier before the real day. He said they are taking charge of security around the place to make sure it is free from disturbances.
According to New Vision, Mbarara Archdiocese will lead the celebrations this year and the Chief celebrant is the Archbishop of Mbarara, Paul Bakyenga.
SHARED FROM CISA NEWS AFRICA

Comments