HOLY SATURDAY MASS - FULL TEXT - READINGS


Genesis 1: 1, 26 - 31

1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
26Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."
27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
28And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."
29And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food.
30And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.
31And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day.
Psalms 33: 4 - 7, 12 - 13, 20 - 22

4For the word of the LORD is upright; and all his work is done in faithfulness.5He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the steadfast love of the LORD.6By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and all their host by the breath of his mouth.7He gathered the waters of the sea as in a bottle; he put the deeps in storehouses.12Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage!13The LORD looks down from heaven, he sees all the sons of men;20Our soul waits for the LORD; he is our help and shield.21Yea, our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name.22Let thy steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us, even as we hope in thee. ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genesis 22: 1 - 18
1After these things God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here am I."
2He said, "Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Mori'ah, and offer him there as a burnt offering upon one of the mountains of which I shall tell you."
3So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac; and he cut the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him.
4On the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the place afar off.
5Then Abraham said to his young men, "Stay here with the ass; I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you."
6And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took in his hand the fire and the knife. So they went both of them together.
7And Isaac said to his father Abraham, "My father!" And he said, "Here am I, my son." He said, "Behold, the fire and the wood; but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?"
8Abraham said, "God will provide himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son." So they went both of them together.
9When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar, upon the wood.
10Then Abraham put forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
11But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven, and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here am I."
12He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me."
13And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns; and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son.
14So Abraham called the name of that place The LORD will provide; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided."
15And the angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time from heaven,
16and said, "By myself I have sworn, says the LORD, because you have done this, and have not withheld your son, your only son,
17I will indeed bless you, and I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore. And your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies,
18and by your descendants shall all the nations of the earth bless themselves, because you have obeyed my voice."
Psalms 16: 5, 8 - 11
5The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; thou holdest my lot.
8I keep the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
9Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body also dwells secure.
10For thou dost not give me up to Sheol, or let thy godly one see the Pit.
11Thou dost show me the path of life; in thy presence there is fulness of joy, in thy right hand are pleasures for evermore. Exodus 14: 15 - 31
15The LORD said to Moses, "Why do you cry to me? Tell the people of Israel to go forward.16Lift up your rod, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it, that the people of Israel may go on dry ground through the sea.17And I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so that they shall go in after them, and I will get glory over Pharaoh and all his host, his chariots, and his horsemen.18And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I have gotten glory over Pharaoh, his chariots, and his horsemen."19Then the angel of God who went before the host of Israel moved and went behind them; and the pillar of cloud moved from before them and stood behind them,20coming between the host of Egypt and the host of Israel. And there was the cloud and the darkness; and the night passed without one coming near the other all night.21Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD drove the sea back by a strong east wind all night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.22And the people of Israel went into the midst of the sea on dry ground, the waters being a wall to them on their right hand and on their left.23The Egyptians pursued, and went in after them into the midst of the sea, all Pharaoh's horses, his chariots, and his horsemen.24And in the morning watch the LORD in the pillar of fire and of cloud looked down upon the host of the Egyptians, and discomfited the host of the Egyptians,25clogging their chariot wheels so that they drove heavily; and the Egyptians said, "Let us flee from before Israel; for the LORD fights for them against the Egyptians."26Then the LORD said to Moses, "Stretch out your hand over the sea, that the water may come back upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots, and upon their horsemen."27So Moses stretched forth his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to its wonted flow when the morning appeared; and the Egyptians fled into it, and the LORD routed the Egyptians in the midst of the sea.28The waters returned and covered the chariots and the horsemen and all the host of Pharaoh that had followed them into the sea; not so much as one of them remained.29But the people of Israel walked on dry ground through the sea, the waters being a wall to them on their right hand and on their left.30Thus the LORD saved Israel that day from the hand of the Egyptians; and Israel saw the Egyptians dead upon the seashore.31And Israel saw the great work which the LORD did against the Egyptians, and the people feared the LORD; and they believed in the LORD and in his servant Moses.
Exodus 15: 1 - 6, 17 - 18
1Then Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the LORD, saying, "I will sing to the LORD, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
2The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.
3The LORD is a man of war; the LORD is his name.
4"Pharaoh's chariots and his host he cast into the sea; and his picked officers are sunk in the Red Sea.
5The floods cover them; they went down into the depths like a stone.
6Thy right hand, O LORD, glorious in power, thy right hand, O LORD, shatters the enemy.
17Thou wilt bring them in, and plant them on thy own mountain, the place, O LORD, which thou hast made for thy abode, the sanctuary, LORD, which thy hands have established.
18The LORD will reign for ever and ever."
Isaiah 54: 5 - 14

5For your Maker is your husband, the LORD of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called.6For the LORD has called you like a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit, like a wife of youth when she is cast off, says your God.7For a brief moment I forsook you, but with great compassion I will gather you.8In overflowing wrath for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you, says the LORD, your Redeemer.9"For this is like the days of Noah to me: as I swore that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth, so I have sworn that I will not be angry with you and will not rebuke you.10For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed, says the LORD, who has compassion on you.11"O afflicted one, storm-tossed, and not comforted, behold, I will set your stones in antimony, and lay your foundations with sapphires.12I will make your pinnacles of agate, your gates of carbuncles, and all your wall of precious stones.13All your sons shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the prosperity of your sons.14In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you.
Psalms 30: 2, 4 - 6, 11 - 13
2O LORD my God, I cried to thee for help, and thou hast healed me.
4Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name.
5For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
6As for me, I said in my prosperity, "I shall never be moved."
11Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing; thou hast loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness,
12that my soul may praise thee and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to thee for ever.
Isaiah 55: 1 - 11

1"Ho, every one who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.2Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Hearken diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in fatness.3Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David.4Behold, I made him a witness to the peoples, a leader and commander for the peoples.5Behold, you shall call nations that you know not, and nations that knew you not shall run to you, because of the LORD your God, and of the Holy One of Israel, for he has glorified you.6"Seek the LORD while he may be found, call upon him while he is near;7let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that he may have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD.9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.10"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and return not thither but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,11so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
PSALM
Isaiah 12: 2 - 6
2"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation."
3With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.
4And you will say in that day: "Give thanks to the LORD, call upon his name; make known his deeds among the nations, proclaim that his name is exalted.
5"Sing praises to the LORD, for he has done gloriously; let this be known in all the earth.
6Shout, and sing for joy, O inhabitant of Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel."
Baruch 3: 9 - 15, 32 - 38

9Hear the commandments of life, O Israel; give ear, and learn wisdom!10Why is it, O Israel, why is it that you are in the land of your enemies, that you are growing old in a foreign country, that you are defiled with the dead,11that you are counted among those in Hades?12You have forsaken the fountain of wisdom.13If you had walked in the way of God, you would be dwelling in peace for ever.14Learn where there is wisdom, where there is strength, where there is understanding, that you may at the same time discern where there is length of days, and life, where there is light for the eyes, and peace.15Who has found her place? And who has entered her storehouses?32But he who knows all things knows her, he found her by his understanding. He who prepared the earth for all time filled it with four-footed creatures;33he who sends forth the light, and it goes, called it, and it obeyed him in fear;34the stars shone in their watches, and were glad; he called them, and they said, "Here we are!" They shone with gladness for him who made them.35This is our God; no other can be compared to him!36He found the whole way to knowledge, and gave her to Jacob his servant and to Israel whom he loved.37Afterward she appeared upon earth and lived among men.
Baruch 4: 1 - 4

1She is the book of the commandments of God, and the law that endures for ever. All who hold her fast will live, and those who forsake her will die.2Turn, O Jacob, and take her; walk toward the shining of her light.3Do not give your glory to another, or your advantages to an alien people.4Happy are we, O Israel, for we know what is pleasing to God.
Psalms 19: 8 - 11

8the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;9the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever; the ordinances of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether.10More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb.11Moreover by them is thy servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
Ezekiel 36: 16 - 28

16The word of the LORD came to me:17"Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their ways and their doings; their conduct before me was like the uncleanness of a woman in her impurity.18So I poured out my wrath upon them for the blood which they had shed in the land, for the idols with which they had defiled it.19I scattered them among the nations, and they were dispersed through the countries; in accordance with their conduct and their deeds I judged them.20But when they came to the nations, wherever they came, they profaned my holy name, in that men said of them, `These are the people of the LORD, and yet they had to go out of his land.'21But I had concern for my holy name, which the house of Israel caused to be profaned among the nations to which they came.22"Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you came.23And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them; and the nations will know that I am the LORD, says the Lord GOD, when through you I vindicate my holiness before their eyes.24For I will take you from the nations, and gather you from all the countries, and bring you into your own land.25I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.26A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will take out of your flesh the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.27And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to observe my ordinances.28You shall dwell in the land which I gave to your fathers; and you shall be my people, and I will be your God.
Psalms 51: 12 - 15, 18 - 19
12Restore to me the joy of thy salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.
13Then I will teach transgressors thy ways, and sinners will return to thee.
14Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of thy deliverance.
15O Lord, open thou my lips, and my mouth shall show forth thy praise.
18Do good to Zion in thy good pleasure; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem,
19then wilt thou delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on thy altar.
Romans 6: 3 - 11
3Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
4We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
5For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.
6We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the sinful body might be destroyed, and we might no longer be enslaved to sin.
7For he who has died is freed from sin.
8But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him.
9For we know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him.
10The death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God.
11So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
Psalms 118: 1 - 2, 16 - 17, 22 - 23
1O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his steadfast love endures for ever!
2Let Israel say, "His steadfast love endures for ever."
16the right hand of the LORD is exalted, the right hand of the LORD does valiantly!"
17I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the LORD.
22The stone which the builders rejected has become the head of the corner.
23This is the LORD's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
Luke 24: 1 - 12

1But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, taking the spices which they had prepared.2And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb,3but when they went in they did not find the body.4While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling apparel;5and as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?6Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee,7that the Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and on the third day rise."8And they remembered his words,9and returning from the tomb they told all this to the eleven and to all the rest.10Now it was Mary Mag'dalene and Jo-an'na and Mary the mother of James and the other women with them who told this to the apostles;11but these words seemed to them an idle tale, and they did not believe them.12But Peter rose and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; and he went home wondering at what had happened.

Comments