GOOD FRIDAY CHURCH SERVICE ONLINE - MARCH 29, 2013


John 18:
 1 - 40


1When Jesus had spoken these words, he went forth with his disciples across the Kidron valley, where there was a garden, which he and his disciples entered.
2Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place; for Jesus often met there with his disciples.
3So Judas, procuring a band of soldiers and some officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, went there with lanterns and torches and weapons.
4Then Jesus, knowing all that was to befall him, came forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek?"
5They answered him, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus said to them, "I am he." Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them.
6When he said to them, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.
7Again he asked them, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."
8Jesus answered, "I told you that I am he; so, if you seek me, let these men go."
9This was to fulfil the word which he had spoken, "Of those whom thou gavest me I lost not one."
10Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's slave and cut off his right ear. The slave's name was Malchus.
11Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup which the Father has given me?"
12So the band of soldiers and their captain and the officers of the Jews seized Jesus and bound him.
13First they led him to Annas; for he was the father-in-law of Ca'iaphas, who was high priest that year.
14It was Ca'iaphas who had given counsel to the Jews that it was expedient that one man should die for the people.
15Simon Peter followed Jesus, and so did another disciple. As this disciple was known to the high priest, he entered the court of the high priest along with Jesus,
16while Peter stood outside at the door. So the other disciple, who was known to the high priest, went out and spoke to the maid who kept the door, and brought Peter in.
17The maid who kept the door said to Peter, "Are not you also one of this man's disciples?" He said, "I am not."
18Now the servants and officers had made a charcoal fire, because it was cold, and they were standing and warming themselves; Peter also was with them, standing and warming himself.
19The high priest then questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.
20Jesus answered him, "I have spoken openly to the world; I have always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all Jews come together; I have said nothing secretly.
21Why do you ask me? Ask those who have heard me, what I said to them; they know what I said."
22When he had said this, one of the officers standing by struck Jesus with his hand, saying, "Is that how you answer the high priest?"
23Jesus answered him, "If I have spoken wrongly, bear witness to the wrong; but if I have spoken rightly, why do you strike me?"
24Annas then sent him bound to Ca'iaphas the high priest.
25Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. They said to him, "Are not you also one of his disciples?" He denied it and said, "I am not."
26One of the servants of the high priest, a kinsman of the man whose ear Peter had cut off, asked, "Did I not see you in the garden with him?"
27Peter again denied it; and at once the cock crowed.
28Then they led Jesus from the house of Ca'iaphas to the praetorium. It was early. They themselves did not enter the praetorium, so that they might not be defiled, but might eat the passover.
29So Pilate went out to them and said, "What accusation do you bring against this man?"
30They answered him, "If this man were not an evildoer, we would not have handed him over."
31Pilate said to them, "Take him yourselves and judge him by your own law." The Jews said to him, "It is not lawful for us to put any man to death."
32This was to fulfil the word which Jesus had spoken to show by what death he was to die.
33Pilate entered the praetorium again and called Jesus, and said to him, "Are you the King of the Jews?"
34Jesus answered, "Do you say this of your own accord, or did others say it to you about me?"
35Pilate answered, "Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me; what have you done?"
36Jesus answered, "My kingship is not of this world; if my kingship were of this world, my servants would fight, that I might not be handed over to the Jews; but my kingship is not from the world."
37Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one who is of the truth hears my voice."
38Pilate said to him, "What is truth?" After he had said this, he went out to the Jews again, and told them, "I find no crime in him.
39But you have a custom that I should release one man for you at the Passover; will you have me release for you the King of the Jews?"
40They cried out again, "Not this man, but Barab'bas!" Now Barab'bas was a robber.
John 19: 1 - 42

1Then Pilate took Jesus and scourged him.
2And the soldiers plaited a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and arrayed him in a purple robe;
3they came up to him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!" and struck him with their hands.
4Pilate went out again, and said to them, "See, I am bringing him out to you, that you may know that I find no crime in him."
5So Jesus came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. Pilate said to them, "Behold the man!"
6When the chief priests and the officers saw him, they cried out, "Crucify him, crucify him!" Pilate said to them, "Take him yourselves and crucify him, for I find no crime in him."
7The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law he ought to die, because he has made himself the Son of God."
8When Pilate heard these words, he was the more afraid;
9he entered the praetorium again and said to Jesus, "Where are you from?" But Jesus gave no answer.
10Pilate therefore said to him, "You will not speak to me? Do you not know that I have power to release you, and power to crucify you?"
11Jesus answered him, "You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above; therefore he who delivered me to you has the greater sin."
12Upon this Pilate sought to release him, but the Jews cried out, "If you release this man, you are not Caesar's friend; every one who makes himself a king sets himself against Caesar."
13When Pilate heard these words, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judgment seat at a place called The Pavement, and in Hebrew, Gab'batha.
14Now it was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about the sixth hour. He said to the Jews, "Behold your King!"
15They cried out, "Away with him, away with him, crucify him!" Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar."
16Then he handed him over to them to be crucified.
17So they took Jesus, and he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called the place of a skull, which is called in Hebrew Gol'gotha.
18There they crucified him, and with him two others, one on either side, and Jesus between them.
19Pilate also wrote a title and put it on the cross; it read, "Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews."
20Many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek.
21The chief priests of the Jews then said to Pilate, "Do not write, `The King of the Jews,' but, `This man said, I am King of the Jews.'"
22Pilate answered, "What I have written I have written."
23When the soldiers had crucified Jesus they took his garments and made four parts, one for each soldier; also his tunic. But the tunic was without seam, woven from top to bottom;
24so they said to one another, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it to see whose it shall be." This was to fulfil the scripture, "They parted my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots."
25So the soldiers did this. But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Mag'dalene.
26When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, "Woman, behold, your son!"
27Then he said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!" And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.
28After this Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfil the scripture), "I thirst."
29A bowl full of vinegar stood there; so they put a sponge full of the vinegar on hyssop and held it to his mouth.
30When Jesus had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished"; and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
31Since it was the day of Preparation, in order to prevent the bodies from remaining on the cross on the sabbath (for that sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
32So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with him;
33but when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.
34But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water.
35He who saw it has borne witness -- his testimony is true, and he knows that he tells the truth -- that you also may believe.
36For these things took place that the scripture might be fulfilled, "Not a bone of him shall be broken."
37And again another scripture says, "They shall look on him whom they have pierced."
38After this Joseph of Arimathe'a, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave him leave. So he came and took away his body.
39Nicode'mus also, who had at first come to him by night, came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds' weight.
40They took the body of Jesus, and bound it in linen cloths with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews.
41Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb where no one had ever been laid.
42So because of the Jewish day of Preparation, as the tomb was close at hand, they laid Jesus there.

Comments